Saturday, May 23, 2009

How I Got Here

Since I am interning at NHC this summer, I figured that I would explain the backstory on how I got here. Its a pretty simple story. You see, when a man and a woman love each other very much....

Oh wait, I guess I should be telling you how I got to NHC, not how I got to the world. My bad. Lets try this again.

I visited the OBX for a weekend in March with a big group of my friends. We wanted to go to church on Sunday, so we did a Google search for local churches. NHC was one of the many that we clicked on, and so after much prayer and fasting... Ok it was actually more like:
Me: "Hey this one says that they have contemporary music."
My friend: "Sweet lets go to that one."

Despite the super-unspiritualness of our decision, that Sunday morning ended up being a great experience (I would say life-changing, but that would be way too cliche). As soon as I walked in, I could tell that NHC was different (which is something that I have found out is very intentional). The people were just so friendly, and I felt very welcomed. Top that off with an excellent time of worship and teaching, and I walked away wishing that the gathering had lasted for another couple of hours.

After that, I kept thinking about the church. Finally, I got the idea that I wanted to intern at NHC for the summer so that I could learn what it is that makes them who they are. I emailed their Lead Pastor, Rick Lawrenson, with the proposal, and he emailed me back saying that I was crazy and that I should go find a real job.

Just Kidding. I found out that they had already been thinking about the idea of having an intern for the summer, and so he invited me down for a weekend visit. The weekend was great, and I came away being sure that I wanted to be at NHC this summer. I was lucky enough to stay with an awesome family, Randy and Ginny Holcombe. Randy has the same name as an NBA player, which is the reason he is awesome. And he is a super nice guy. Ginny has a store in Nags Head, so if you are ever in the area, check out Cloud Nine.

A week later, I got the word that everything worked out, and I could come on down. So now I am here, and I'm lovin it. Tomorrow I will post a review of my first couple of days.

Anyone else want to share their story about how they ended up at NHC?

Matt

2 comments:

  1. How I ended up at NHC:

    I was a very little boy, which meant I went to church wherever my parents went to church, which happened to be NHC.

    End of story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started attending NHC when we would be here for vacations. I attended the first time because my choir director from home had been there, and he had told me about Sam Lamb, an elderly gentleman, who played the saw to accompany the hymns. I had to see that. I was so impressed that Sam was encouraged to minister using his talent, and the informality of the service was refreshing. When I moved here in 1995, I continued to attend the tiny white church by the big sand dune. It's not so tiny any more...but we are still encouraged to minister according to our abilities.

    ReplyDelete