Sunday, May 24, 2009

Weekend

This weekend has been great. It started for me on Thursday, when I left Northern Virginia, and made my way down to the OBX. This drive, which should take 4 1/2 hours, can often take up to 8 hours depending on traffic. Fortunately, it was completely clear for me and I made great time. I arrived at my tiny little host home where I will be staying for the summer with Les and Carol Petrie. Here's a picture:


Ok so maybe it's not that tiny. Anyways, Carol and Les and great people, and I am very excited about staying with them. Their kids are all grown and married, meaning they are both in grandparent mode, and that I am getting the grandkid treatment,which I am completely okay with. They are a very Godly couple, and I can tell that I am going to learn a lot from them. They will also be reading this, so I have to make sure that they sound good : )

Thursday afternoon, I headed to the church where I met with Nathan (creative arts director) and Andy (youth pastor) to discuss my role for the summer. I will be kept very busy working primarily with the youth and children's programs, as well as with aspects of the creative arts program. After that was band practice and a dinner at the church for the Nags Head lifeguards.

Friday, I went shooting at the Outer Banks Gun Club with Les and his friend Jerry. I had shot many .22 rifles and bb guns as a Boy Scout, but I had never shot a pistol before, so it was a fun experience. Saturday, we went for an 8.7 mile bike ride, which was nothing for Les and Carol, but was about as much as I could do as someone who was riding a bike for the first time in a few years. Other than that, I have mostly just been eating lots of delicious food and watching hockey games. And trust me, hockey games look pretty good when you watch them on the TV I've been watching.

So as you can tell, my internship has been full of intense work so far. Ok so maybe it has been more like a beach vacation. My real work starts on Tuesday, so I will have much more interesting things to write about then.

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment