Saturday, June 6, 2009

Sunday FlashBlitz

Tomorrow is Sunday, and I still haven't posted about this past Sunday, so it is probably about time that I do that. Here is my write up for Sunday, May 31.
  • At Nags Head Church we are modifying the way that we sign children into the Nursery and Kids Church. The whole process is being moved from a paper system to a computer program that will keep track of everything for us. My big job last week was to set up a new kiosk with a touchscreen, scanner, and label printer, get everything working together smoothly, and design name tags that are printed off each time a parent signs their child in. We partially implemented the system on Sunday, and the full thing will be up and running by next Sunday at the latest.
  • I participated in the 9:00 worship gathering this week. The band started off by leading the songs Made to Worship, Your Grace is Enough, and Lincoln Brewster's new song God You Reign. The first time I ever heard God You Reign was when I first visited NHC back in March while on a weekend vacation. The beauty and truth of this song powerfully moved me, and I was glad to hear Nathan and the band present it again.
  • Rick brought a message from Exodus 15:22-27 entitled "How to Pass the Tests Along the Journey." Here are a few of my notes/thoughts:
  • The Christian journey is tempered with testing. To grow and mature in faith, you must be tested. I know this is true, and yet so often I complain to God when I know He is testing me. There are way too many times when things get hard, and I just want God to get me out. The thing is, I am supposed to be growing as a Christian, and that can't happen unless I thrive through the tests that God throws my way.
  • One of my favorite things Rick said: "You can't be a grumbler and complainer and move ahead." Enough said.
  • The normal Christian life is one that is growing and maturing and thriving. How many times have we referred to the "normal" Christians as the ones who are content with where they are in their spiritual journey, while the "exceptional" Christians are the ones who are really stepping out and trying to grow. This is completely backwards. Being a "normal" Christian means constantly growing and becoming more like Christ. Anything less is stagnant Christianity.
  • God can turn the bitter in life into sweet. Tests are hard. Tests are not fun. However, when we trust Christ and obey Him, we can excel through the most challenging times. When that happens, we grow and mature, and Christ is glorified in our lives.
  • The band closed with the songs You Do All Things Well and You Never Let Go.
  • During the 11:00 hour, I helped with Kidmo, but first I got recruited to help collect the offering in the main gathering. I got to learn how they do this at NHC, which was different than most churches I have been in. They only use 4 guys to collect from 3 sections as opposed to using 6 guys to do the same job, which I am more used to. Way to be efficient NHC.
  • Kidmo was fun, but I can't remember at all what the kids learned. I guess I should have taken notes.
  • I found out afterwards that the 9:00am Lil' K, which I helped with last week, was packed once again this week and they could have used more help. I think that I will help there again this Sunday, especially since there are so many boys in that class and they could use a guy helping out.
  • After church there was a new member's lunch that I went to, even though I'm not becoming a member (ok you got me. I went for the food.)
That was my Sunday morning. Tomorrow is Sunday again, and hopefully this time it won't take me so long to post my FlashBlitz. Tomorrow evening is Youth Group which will be meeting on the beach for the rest of the summer. I'm cool with that.

Matt

4 comments:

  1. I should wait a week to comment, but I won't-- because I like you. Thanks for all the help and encouragement with the data for the check-in system. And Cathy Overstreet and Vera Williams ROCK for helping out with birthdays for the young ones! I love my Office Assistance Team!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha thanks Barbara, and I completely agree with you. Our office assistance team is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What? You went just for the food? You would never.... hahhaa..sorry, I couldn't continue to type that with a straight face.

    ReplyDelete